[pianotech] Key Leveling Time

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Sat Mar 9 07:14:04 MST 2013

Laura Olsen Wrote:

<How many of you level keys with the stack on, cutting a wedge out of
the punching and inserting it from underneath the keyframe?

I do this for final and touchup passes. I've tried not cutting a wedge,
and just slitting it, but as touchup passes are wimpy green and white
punchings, maybe some pinky's, I struggle with inserting split punchings
and resort to the wedge.  I've never been able to get split punchings to
behave, either with or off the grain of the paper.

I made some simple props to hold the action up at an angle while the
keyframe is half-way out of the action cavity, and use felt wedge mutes
to hold the keys out of the way. But still, its a time consuming process
for me.

On a 1 day on whilrwind (ha) on-site regulation, depending on the skill
level of the pianist, I minimize the pickyness of keylevel. This allows
me to spend more time in other places where the regulation will get more
bang for the buck...1 day for a full defferred maintenance action is
really pushing it hard...gotta prioritize.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com