[pianotech] Key Leveling Time

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Mar 8 12:38:02 MST 2013

Terry said:

<Or am I just WAAAAAYYYYYYY slower than anyone else at leveling keys?

I'm with you Terry. I take a good 3-4hours to level a fresh
keyboard..that's with taking several passes to get the thing where I
want it.

But, and I think this is a big  "but", what assumptions are the
published time sheet working off of for this task?  Is is assuming this
is just a keytop job, no key bottom or felt work. What about a keyboard
where other repairs that effect key height were perfornmed? How well was
the keytop job performed, ie how either identical to the originals, or
whatever? Is it a new keyboard? How picky a job are you doing , or are
you just slapping through the job etc. Add to that how many key leveling
jobs do you do a month?

I never pay any attention to these bid sheets for this reason...too many
variables and too many assumptions not accounted for.  The client is
hiring me to do the work. I am who I am, and work at my pace.  If they
want someone to work at a different pace, let em hire someone else
(sorry Joe...I still love you<G>).

Jim Ialeggio

  --
Jim Ialeggio