[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 53, Issue 36

James McCormac jmccormac440 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 20:43:35 MDT 2013

David,
Check the explanation for growing lead at the following:
http://www.navsea.navy.mil/nswc/carderock/pub/cnsm/lead/lead_02.aspx
I suspect that your Bosendorfer was kept tightly closed. The out-gassing of
the wood created an environment that fostered the deterioration of the lead.
As for Wim's observations, perhaps the process is fostered by the presence
of high humidity.
AS an aside -- I appreciated your classes on hammers and voicing.
Jim McCormac, RPT
San Diego