[pianotech] Heinzman Grand

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 20 09:36:48 MDT 2013

John,
I was doing a rebuild on a Kemble name grand and it did the same thing...on
both sides! You'll need to take the tension off immediately!
Then, I turned it upside down and routed a 1/2"wide 1/2" deep groove into
the underside of the pinblock, (away from the pin field). Then I line bored
the groove through the sides. (that's the hard part of this whole
thing.<G>) I then got a 1/2" acme threaded Rod of medium/hard steel.
Inserted it all the way through. Attached thick Fender washers and
appropriate nuts, left them just snug. Injected glue into the mortises of
the pinblock/sides. Flipped it back over onto saw horses. Injected more
glue from the top into the mortises. Major bar clamps and cinched the acme
bolt. Let set up. Covered the bolt/washer/nuts with hollow decorative
rosettes. That did the trick. It's up to pitch and has been for over 8
years now. The rosette on the flat side presents a slight problem for
movers. But, ????<G>
Hope that helps.
Best,
Joe