[pianotech] How to combine Google group emails

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Thu Mar 21 22:33:19 MDT 2013

> From: Bill Fritz <pianofritz50 at aol.com>
> Date: March 20, 2013 10:24:15 PM EDT
>
> I'll have to say that I liked pianotech, because it combined several emails into one for me to review...  (1 look-see vs 3-10 separate ones)
>
> Is there a way to accomplish that in the Google groups?
>
> Bill Fritz, St Louis

Hi Bill,

Yes, you have several "digest" options with Google groups. In order to set those options, however, it seems that you have to create a Google account on the web.

During the process of setting up a Google account on the web (using your web browser), you will give Google an email address.  Note that you do not need a gmail account!  You can (and maybe should) use the same email address that you already have and are using.  If you give Google the same address that you are using to send and receive emails from Google groups (a good idea), Google will know that you are already a member of Google Pianotech.  If you then sign in to Google groups on the web, and go to the Pianotech page, you can set your desired frequency of emails.  That's what you are asking about, and the answer is yes.

So, to recap in one sentence, go on the web and create (and log into) your Google account, and while on the Pianotech web page, set your email preferences.

Once you do that, you may rarely or never again need to use the web version of Google Pianotech and/or your Google account, but you do need to use it for this one task.

I posted the following longer and more detailed recap (including a link to another "recipe" for signing up for a Google account) a few days ago for another member (on Google), but I will re-post it here in case it is helpful:

---

> Craig Browning wrote:
> I am Getting Slammed by Pianotech E-Mails, is there a way to reduce volume?
>
> Such as being able to check into a web page?
>
> HI Craig,
>
> As others have said, you can sign up for Google Groups (i.e. - create a Google Account) and participate entirely via the web.  If you do so, you may choose to get zero emails from Google Pianotech, and can both read and post via the web.  Signing up also gives you the option of changing the frequency of emails that you receive.  So, even if you decide to participate via email, signing up will still be useful so that you can alter your email settings (such as receiving digests).
>
> If you choose to sign up, and set the email address that you are currently using for Pianotech as the email address that Google will associate with your Google account, then (I believe) Google will know that you already are a member of Pianotech (i.e.- you do not have to "re-join" the Pianotech group).
>
> If you want to give it a try, I posted directions for how to create a Google account, sign in, and get started in this thread:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pianotech.php/0ZAE45IhM9M
>
> You may find that there are some advantages to web participation.  But, it's not an either-or choice, you can both receive emails and participate via the web if you like.
>
> If you decide that you like web participation more, you can turn off email participation at any time by signing in to Google, navigating to the Pianotech group, and then clicking on the "My Settings" button in the upper right portion of the screen, and choosing "Membership and email settings."  From there, you can choose to turn off all emails.
>
> From there, you can also choose to get all emails, get emails in batches of 25 messages, or get one big email a day.  The last two options are similar to the "digest" option in the listserve incarnation of this group.  Choosing either of these options will certainly reduce the number of emails you get, but will probably also make thread sorting by your email program less clear and harder to follow.
>
> As others have said, getting all emails (as you are now) and setting up a "rule" in your email program that will shunt all of those emails to a separate folder that you create for Pianotech will both preserve your threading continuity and solve the cluttered inbox problem.
>
> In any case, we have plenty of options now....
>
> Good luck with it,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh