Damper guide rail bushings

Fri May 29 08:06 MDT 1998

Ed,

Thanks very much for the nudge, this is what
Susan Graham used to do, and I've been wondering
which part of the seive of my brain let that tidbit escape...

Thinking of guide rail bushings and Susan reminds me
of a great tool she made for sizing same.  Taking  a length
of brass drill rod (of a diameter to fit into a 25 Watt Weller
soldering iron), she would chuck it up in her drill press
and file/sand it down to whatever diameter she needed
for a particular instrument.  Then, with the iron attached to
a control unit, she would find the right combination of time
and temperature to (very precisely) size these very
crucial (but often ignored) little pieces of guaranteed
insanity.

I am sure that I am not the only one who misses her
outstanding personal and professional input.

Best.

Horace

At 09:53 PM 5/28/1998 EDT, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>    Having rebushed a lot of these things, I finally found a way that works
>well for me.
>    I drill out the red felt with a drill bit in the drill press.  With the
>right bit, only the black is left and then it is a simple job to rebush with
>the factory's modern bushing cloth.  It is easy, fast, and looks and performs
>like the original.
>Regards,
>Ed Foote
>Precision Piano Works