Teaching University Techs

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon Nov 9 09:39 MST 1998

Hi Charles and list:
>Are there other university techs out there who also teach either an
>appreciation or skills course, who would not mind responding to a call from
>our executive assistant about your title, salary range, etc.?

     Two years ago, with many of yours help, I sold Vanderbilt on a one hour
course "Intonation, Keyboards, and Temperaments".   It covers the basic
acoustical phenomena of overtones and beats, the overtone series and how
intervals are actually constructed,  the historical changes in our intonation
and the basic design of the instrument today.   I am paid as adjunct faculty
for this, with no benefits.
   However,  long ago I was asked about a piano tech course and now, finally,
the new building will have room to teach something more.  I am in the process
of trying to define what the courses should cover, (there ain't gonna be any
full technicians come out of Vanderbilt's music school, but the pianists need
to understand their instruments.
    When things get finalized, I will have better info for a request like
this.
Regards,
Ed Foote