Objective keydip measuring; Hamburg v NY frictions

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Mon Nov 16 10:27 MST 1998

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know of a tool that measures keydip objectively - ie., you
don't have to try relying on identical finger pressure for each key (an
impossibility in my experience!)? I see depth gages, some of which that
appear to be spring-loaded. Are these accurate and convenient to use? Do
they work for black keys equally well? It would also be nice to have such
an instrument for measuring aftertouch - preferably something where the
spring tension can be varied ever-so-slightly to allow for heavy-touch
playing or light-touch playing. (Am I getting too esoteric??)

2. Has anyone ever heard of different friction specs for Renner centers?
It always seems like Renner's centers are floppy-loose out of the box. I
wonder if they pin things loose, anticipating that the centers will
tighten up after a period of use.

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan		   "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music						--Jimmy Durante
734/764-6207 (office/shop)
734/763-5097 (fax)
734/572-7663 (home)