Objective keydip measuring

Mon Nov 16 16:30 MST 1998

Ed,

At 05:24 PM 11/16/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>I am assuming I am missing something here.  Does the above mean that you will
>vary the let-off in order to achieve consistant aftertouch?

As usual, you are not missing anything.

The direct answer is, "yes".

The operational, and-how-do-you-really-do-it answer is that
I _will_ change the letoff, but, only if I cannot get the
consistency of _feel_ that I want by other means.  Actually,
I suppose, I would, in practice, vary the dip before varying
the letoff - but only a very small amount.

_But_ a very great deal would depend on the pianist.
John Perry would notice the dip before noticing the letoff.
Morevic would (probably) have noticed the letoff before the
dip.  Brendl is going to make you crazy no matter what, he
feels everything.

Sort of too bad, in a way.  All this work, and 99.99% of
all possible players look at the keys of a piano as being
88 on/off switches.  Well, at least, they play as if they
think that way.

Philosophically, aftertouch is, I think, a misunderstood
phenomenon.  While it is true that with "too much" after
touch you lose power, it is also true that it is precisely
this range of key movement that real pianists depend so
heavily upon for control.  Thus, in my practice, I am much
more interested in the subjective perception of the regularity
of the touch than in the (strictly observed) reductive
measurement of it.

Better?  Not?

Best, in any event.

Horace