Objective keydip measuring

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Mon Nov 16 18:14 MST 1998

Aftertouch - schmafterouch
If the geometry is right, it is automatic.
The escapement point is conditional on the leverage of the action,
I think that the indiscrepancieas a pianist feels is in the Strike Weight
Ratio
and inertial differences.

However, we are forced to work with systems which are not optimum.
And by the same token can not be uniform note to note. So there is a "fix" .
We can either mask it with ingenious adjustment deviations or by altering
the action.

The first step is to graduate the weight of the hammers. (Have you weighed
a set?)
Next would be to graduate the front weight of the key for inertial smoothing.
Followed by adjusting the spring on the 'spring assist' wippens to the
desired Balance Weight.

I know this sounds like a commercial but with all the variable leverages,
this has produced the
best results for me (and my grateful customers).

We can choose to alter the adjustments so we can mask the inconsistencies
in the action
or we can change the action to meet the requirements of the customer.

My better playing customers chose the later (of course after following the
first option
- they never believe me at fist). Then I get to say. "I told you so".   So
they pay me twice :-)

Aftertouch, minimal, just enough to get that ppp w/ no effort (that means
minimal friction as well).
. . . Wispering through the softer passages . . .right at your fingertips .
. .

And then they ask, "Why didn't it play like this before"?

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)