No subject

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Tue Nov 17 08:13 MST 1998

Hello new friends,
I am a newcomer to the chatline.  I have a "historical instrument" question
I want to pick your brains about.  We were donated an Ernst Irmler piano
earlier this year but can't seem to find out any solid information on the
piano.  The soundboard emblem reveals that the instrument was built in
Liepzig, Germany.  But even though we have the serial number it is of no
use in that we can not find any reference to the builder.  The limited
information we do have is that the atlases have a listing of "Irmler", but
do not separate them (apparently, there were several Irmler piano
builders).  Our most informative resource is a colleague of one of our
piano professors, who apparently has access to information of several
Irmlers, but not Ernst.

I am most interested in finding out what standard of pitch (tension) the
piano would have been designed for, but other interesting tidbits would
also be helpful, as the piano is displayed in the music library as more of
a showpiece anyway.

Thanks for any help!
Jeff Tanner

Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician