CAUT in KC: Pianotechnology classes in colleges

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon Nov 30 14:19 MST 1998

"Or am I walking off a cliff here?"

I don't know about a cliff, but I think you fell in a ditch, along side
the road.

I have long advocated the education of piano majors, never allow at
Rutgers, but I would hesitate to teach a full course of technology.  Too
much time invested for too little return.

I would rather see piano players taught the basics but leave the fine
stuff to us.  Tune unisons but let us restring and do concert tuning.
Teach them to safely remove an action but let us replace the broken
shanks.  That sort of thing.

Some players are very bright and could pursue two carrier and THOSE
should be taught, but giving a screwdriver to just anyone is dangerous.
Too many eyes to poke out.

                    Newton