old Steinway underlevers

Tue Jan 5 09:08 MST 1999

fred s sturm wrote:

> My question is, "How troublesome is
> it to replace a set of underlevers?"

Well, it's not like replacing a hammershank or two, but it's also not rocket
science.  We used to make our own trays and fit new levers to them.  Nowadays,
however, we just buy the Renner kit and assemble it (modified to include
capstan lift screws, of course).  The kit comes with a reasonably complete
instruction manual.  If you have access to a drill press and a saw of some
sort, it's not all that difficult.

By the way, you won't find this kit listed in 'The Catalogs.'  Go directly to
Renner, USA.

Regards,

Del