Restringing Baldwin

Thu Jul 1 10:06 MDT 1999

From: John Minor <jminor@uiuc.edu>
To: caut@ptg.org <caut@ptg.org>
Date: Wednesday, June 30, 1999 11:42 AM
Subject: Restringing Baldwin

>I'm getting ready to restring a Baldwin L and would like to know how to
>set the new wires on that accu-just (or whatever!) hitch pin. In 21 =
years
>I've not had the pleasure of restringing one of these!!
>
>John Minor=20
>University of Illinois

------------------------------------

John,

The following is from one of my handouts on Downbearing.  It is not =
specifically aimed at Baldwin pianos -- we use vertical hitch pins on a =
lot of pianos besides Baldwins -- but you might find the procedure =
useful.  Note that you do not need a bubble gauge although one is useful =
to verify your settings after the piano is strung and at pitch.  This =
procedure is normally used with a chart listing the approximate =
downbearing specifications that we recommend using with our soundboard =
and rib sets.  I've not included the chart because the numbers wouldn't =
be applicable to the piano you are restringing.  Use the downbearing =
specifications you would normally use with a piano of this type, size =
and age.

Del

------------------------

PROCEDURE #2.  FOR PIANOS USING STRAIGHT VERTICAL HITCH PIN STRING =
TERMINATION, I.E., PIANOS  WITH VERTICALLY ADJUSTABLE STRING PLACEMENT =
POINTS.=20

1)  At each scale point indicated in the following chart*, pass a taut =
cord or straight edge from the V-bar (or agraffe hole) to the hitch pin =
panel parallel to the piano string line. Lower the cord or straight edge =
over the hitch pin panel until it just touches the bridge and one side =
of the appropriate hitch pin.=20
(Alternate)  For pianos not fitting the indicated pattern, use the =
first, center and last unisons of each logical section. If the tenor =
section is particularly long, one additional pin should be located in =
the center of the section and used as if it were an end pin.=20

2)  Make a small mark on the hitch pin at the point of contact.=20
(Alternate)  Measure the distance from either the top of the hitch pin =
or the top of the plate surface to the point of contact and record this =
number.=20

3)  From this point, measure down the distance listed in the chart and =
place another small mark on the hitch pin at that point. Repeat the =
process for each unison listed in the chart.=20
(Alternate)  Subtract the distance listed in the chart and record this =
number.=20

4)  String the piano and chip to pitch approximately one to two steps =
flat.  Don't worry too much about the actual pitch of the strings or =
where they end up on the hitch pins at this point.  Just make sure they =
do not rest on the plate.  You're just applying enough tension to the =
strings so that they will stay in place while you adjust them.

5)  Adjust the strings on each hitch pin to the marks made in Step #2.=20
(Alternate)  Adjust the strings on each hitch pin to the elevations =
recorded in Step #3.=20

6)  Level all remaining strings to those set in Step #5, i.e., the =
strings of first and last unisons of each sec-tion are used as guides =
for the rest of the strings within that section.=20

7)  Chip piano to pitch.=20

8)  Verify the downbearing settings with a bubble gauge if you have one =
available.

*Refers to a downbearing specification chart that is not included here.  =
These specifications refer to the settings on hitchpins associated with =
the first, middle and last unisons of each section.  Use your own =
judgement for the particular piano you are restringing.