No subject

Allan Alpert aablock@hotmail.com
Fri Jul 23 09:04 MDT 1999

At  Wed, 22 Jul 2099 22:35:27  Jay/Deb Mercier wrote:

>I would probably feel the same about this as you do if I were a member.
>But
>I'm not a member and I don't feel that way at all.  The list and archives
>are there to anyone online and there are no current membership stipulations
>preventing anyone from using them.
>
>I don't feel like a free loader but a technician learning more every day
>with this wonderful medium.  If I'm labeled as a freeloader then that's
>fine.  Whatever.
>
>The information is simply there to view.  Making the list and archives
>"property of the PTG and for members only," would accomplish nothing.

You can feel any way you wish, but it is people like you who make those of
us who put in the time and the effort to put resources on the Internet ask
ourselves the question "why are we doing this?".

No, buddy, the information isn't "simply there to view". Somebody creates
the computer files and maintains them, and somebody pays for and maintains
the server on which they "live" and somebody maintains the e-mail lists
which generate the information, and somebody takes care of the bugs, and
somebody deals with all the questions that all the Internert ignoramuses are
too lazy to find out for themselves, and  somebody pays for the bandswidth
that it all uses up.

So let us not even talk about the PTG being part of the equation. Let's just
say that people like you who think that the information is "simply there to
view" and therefore feel that they are "entitled" to read it without
contributing to the upkeep are a real negative incentive to continuing all
this work and expense.

The information will be "simply there to view" as long as the people who put
it there feel like giving it away. And when they no longer feel like giving
all that time and resources away, then it will either disappear, or a
mechanism will have to be found to pay for the resources and the labor that
is needed to keep the information there  "simply to view" .

So far PTG member volunteers have contributed all the time and resources
needed for this information to be "simply there to view". And, frankly,  it
isn't their job to educate every piano technician wannabe, just out of the
goodness of their hearts. With this perspective,  there are many things that
can be accomplished by limiting access to the information only to people who
are willing to contribute to the upkeep in some way. For example, paying for
keeping it there when the current volunteer crew burns out (and, I assure
you, this WILL happen, sooner or later. As an Internet resource grows and
becomes more successful, the upkeep workload increases).

So enjoy your free lunch while it lasts. And don't be too proud of yourself
- your idiotic post may just be what convices the people who bring you this
free resource that they have better things to do with their time than
provide free infomation to ingrates...