Key Lead removal

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Mon Jun 7 14:19 MDT 1999

At 09:05 AM 6/7/99 -0400, you wrote:

> I have replaced the wippens made of space age material (plastic) plus new
> shanks and hammers in this Tokai grand. The piano has an immense amount of
> lead in the keys and I can't get any kind of decent touch weight - very low
> upweight.  I figure I should remove the leads and start from scratch.
>
> I carefully matched the Renner style wippens and the knuckle placement on
the
> shanks.  The new wippen heels are about 3/16" smaller than the original
> therefore I've had to raise the capstans which I've polished and applied
> Prolube.

I would plug the holes after determining the amount of lead needed. You just
may
place a lead back in a hole. Another method would be to first determine the
required
FW and then place the key front on a scale and tare it out. Then place
leads of
the
same size over the old leads to see which ones to pop out. This would be less
work.

Another concern would be to have the capstan/cushion contact point intersect
the line
drawn from the bottom of the br hole to the wip center while the key is half
way down.
So you may need to adjust the height of the heel.

I take it you will be using spring assist wippens. In that case the BW
needs to
be set
higher with the springs off and fine tune the BW with the springs.
Contact Dave Stanwood.

Regards,

Jon Page