Key Lead questions, was removal

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Mon Jun 7 18:46 MDT 1999

> I would plug the holes after determining the amount of lead needed. You
>just may
> place a lead back in a hole. Another method would be to first determine
>the required
> FW and then place the key front on a scale and tare it out. Then place
>leads of the
> same size over the old leads to see which ones to pop out. This would be
>less work.

My  questions are: does one determine FW strictly by (Stanwood)calculation?
What happens to leads that fall 'in between' where they should be? Do you
have to plug and redrill? I've heard mention of partial width leads being
replaced in empty holes where full width leads use to be. Logistically how
is this done? Does one cut leads to various standard widths(weights) to
test on the scale? I haven't done releading to this degree of accuracy yet,
but it almost seems like removal, plugging, and starting from scratch might
be a viable way to approach this.
Ken Jankura
Newburg, PA