Survey: Music majors as guidepost...

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Thu Jun 24 22:31 MDT 1999

CAUT List:

Sorry not to follow up on the music majors/guidepost survey yet - I've been
moving (home and shop - finally back into a real shop with 1250 sq ft!) and
haven't reposted my survey more than once (but you all are probably taking a
break between the end of the academic year and the convention, anyway).
Thanks to the three of you who responded with complete data - Vince Mrykalo
at BYU, John Minor at University of Illinois and Daniel Dover at Dartmouth
College.   And to Lorlin Barber for providing what you could - I welcome a
complete survey response when the data is available, Lorlin.

 I will repost the questions at the end of this post again, if any of you
wish to participate.

The number of responses so far are not enough for even an informal survey
such as this to be meaningful.  Still, I would love to know the thinking of
many of you experienced college and university techs about my premise (maybe
this seems too obvious to address for many of you) - that there is a
correlation between piano service program funding and the number of music
students.  The usefulness of this is not in trying to prove that point;  it
is in attempting to establish at what point a typical program begins to move
towards half and full time hours.  If quite a number of you respond I can
move from anecdotal to useful information;  this information might be helpful
to those attempting to increase their piano service program size - at least
it will expand our knowledge of the real world of college and university
piano service.

At this point the only exception was made by Daniel Dover at Dartmouth, who
is funded partly by the Performing Arts Center there.   Of course, "outside"
funding such as this is important information to include in your response.
I have not included a breakdown for grad students, but you may provide this
if you wish.

The survey questions:

1.What is the name of your university?
2. How many pianos are in the music program?
3. How many  piano tech hours per week?  (40 = full time, 20 = half time)
4. Is the position (are the positions) contract or employee with benefits?
5. How many undergraduate music majors?
6. How many undergraduate piano majors?
7. How many graduate music students?
8. How many music minors?
9. Comments?

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA