John Cage Performance

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Fri Jun 25 10:40 MDT 1999

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, John Minor wrote:

> We have a pianist performing John Cage, "Sonata and Interludes for
> Prepared Piano" and wonder if we should be keep a close watch on his prep.

See if the library has a copy of the prep notes - or ask the pianist for a
copy of the prep notes. They tell all. I've had several requests for
clearance for prep piano, and each time I looked over the notes and
highlighted 'no-nos'. In one case, they insisted on using metal screws, so
we set them up on one of our less desirable instruments that's destined to
be shipped off for rebuild, anyhow. The recital venue wasn't the greatest
(a large rehearsal room), but they got to do what they wanted to do and we
didn't have to deal with a damaged instrument.

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan		   "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music						--Jimmy Durante
734/764-6207 (office/shop)
734/763-5097 (fax)
734/572-7663 (home)