maintenance budget

Greg Granoff gjg2@axe.humboldt.edu
Wed Mar 3 16:57 MST 1999

Hi, I want to let you all know there are quite a few of us out here who
do
not always appear on your pages, but do follow the threads -  and really

appreciate it. Thanks.

Following up a bit on Dave Forman's earlier  questions re: Salary, etc.,

would everyone please forward one bit more information.  What is the
typical
budget for maintenance.  If you would, would you please state the
institution (if you don't mind), the number of pianos and the annual
dollar
budgeted - not for wages, just parts or sent out jobs.  We have a new
Department Chair who is on fire for beefing up the program - when that
happens how can one refuse.  Thanks very much.  Sam Marquez, Rowan
University (Glassboro State College) New Jersey
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-digest <owner-caut-digest@ptg.org>
To: caut-digest@ptg.org <caut-digest@ptg.org>
Date: Monday, March 01, 1999 8:24 PM
Subject: caut-digest V1997 #121

Hello,
I'm one of those you speak of who doesn't say much but follows most
threads with interest.
Like at least one respondent, I have no "budget". With 57 pianos and 3
harpsichords I simply request supplies for specific jobs or sometimes
just for restocking the shop.  There are several funds that the
department calls on for this -- probably the most important being a
"user fee" fund that comes from a small fee all music students pay each
semester.   Its revenues are earmarked specifically for instrument
maintenance.  With about a million dollars total instrument inventory
(including other instruments) the amount of money can wax and wain a bit
from year to year, but we can usually get what is necessary for general
maintenance.  Major rebuilds are another story --- usually a difficult
hurdle to jump.  Alumni donations and such become more important here.

Good luck!

Greg Granoff
Humboldt State University
California