Grand Dampers, Quick out and in

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu Mar 4 16:43 MST 1999

Hi Ed,

   Sorry about the long delay. It's just been a little 'crazy' here for me
lately. Thanks for the post.
   No, not a phobia. I just don't like damper work when I can possibly
avoid it. :-)
   I know about the underlever jig and it was published in the Journal
some time ago. I'd just have to did through my Journals to find it. I
know I wanted to make it or even pay someone else to do it, but never
got around to it.
   The other tool I have not heard about and don't really understand
how it works. It seems to me that if it sits on the dampers with that
much force, it would mess up your damper regulation because of pressing
the felt down into/onto the strings too much. Maybe I'm missing
something here.
   I do want to make the underlever jig though, and will dig out my
Journals and find the article. Knowing Bill, the other plans for $2
would probably be well worth having, also. Thanks again.

Avery

>	Do I note a certain phobia about grand dampers in your post?
>	Bill Spurlock has designed two tools for grand damper installation.
>One is a padded, cove-cut, weighted block which sits on 15 dampers at a time,
>aligning them, seating them and resisting the tendency they have to twirl when
>the little screw is tightened.  The other is a T-shaped under lever jig
>that is
>easy to adjust and very stable.  They make damper installation fun.  One quick
>pass and you're at the fine adjusting stage.  In a case like your Kawai, put
>the block on a row of dampers and set the under lever jig before before you
>dismantle the system.  When you're ready to re-install it goes right to the
>timing it had before.
>	These tools are not for sale, but he will sell you some plans called
>"One Dozen Home Made Tools" for $2.  (They can also be made at work, if
>you get
>paid by the hour.)  If the design was published in the Journal, I don't
>recall.
>	Schaff sells the damper screw regulator you mention, #4107.
>
>Regards,
>-Ed Sutton-
> musutton@alpha.nlu.edu

Avery Todd, RPT