RE Crumb, et al

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Mon Mar 8 11:06 MST 1999

                      Subject:                              Time:  12.43 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         RE Crumb, et al                       Date:  3/8/99

I agree with the positive comments about Crumb's compositions. He is an inspired writer whom I characterize as a late 20th century romantic.

I think Tom McNeil has the right approach to the non-traditional piano literature. Even though much of it is not injurious to a piano, we can't possibly monitor all the possibilities for weird experimentation and thoughtless composers. At Oberlin, we have set aside three, Steinway "L's" for non-traditional use -- two in the practice facility and one easily rolled onto our main recital hall for performance. Two pianists with a bent for contemporary music decided on the model "L" because much of the non-traditional literature won't work on the larger pianos. This is because of the diagonal bar in the "B's" and "D's" and the longer strings which makes reaching ceratin nodes difficultwhen playing in the piano.

It's not a perfect arrangement, and we (piano technicians) have the right to decide what is appropriate as far as non-traditional use, but it seems to work. Things like plucking and strumming the strings can be done to some degree on our regular concert pianos as long as it is approved in advance. The problem with this is that some faculty will "forget" to ask.
Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory