Prepared piano (was Crumb's "Makrokosmos")

fred s sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon Mar 8 11:05 MST 1999

Just a couple thoughts on prepared piano use, and our role as university
techs. I think we have to consider that our mission is (our at least
ought to be, IMO) rather broad. Not only are we responsible for attempting
to keep a corral of instruments in the best condition we can under our
particular circumstances, but I think we have an educational role to play
as well. If we don't do it, who will?

So, with regard to the prepared piano problem, I think it makes more sense
to try to play a positive role within the department. Rather than being
the stern disciplinarian who sets the rules and tells students (and
sometimes faculty) what they can't do, why not take the tack of being
helpful? Be the source for those screws they need, for instance. Provide
the "chisel" for chisel on the string work (a piece of flat brass 1/8 x
1/2 sharpened at both ends works very well). Provide the "glass rod" to
place on the strings (threaded rod stays in place better, especially if
you thread a nut onto it).

If we establish a positive relationship with the faculty (often percussion
or composition more than piano) and students who are interested in this
sort of thing, we are more likely to be able to avoid the damages we want
to prevent. The rule is that the student (or faculty) must consult with
the tech before using a piano in other than "traditional" fashion. But the
tech tries to make it a positive relationship by facilitating.

"Let me see
the score. It looks like you'll need this and that. I suggest you might
try this alternative. When you are placing this screw between the strings,
make sure you hold the pedal down. See how fragile these trichord dampers
are. Of course, you'll have to use the designated piano. There are just
so many things that can go wrong, and even one damper misfunctioning
could ruin the performance of your colleague an hour later. And please
let me know if anything falls down inside the piano as soon as possible."

The result of this kind of approach is a better working relationship,
education for those who need it (people who may end up composing this kind
of music especially), and protection for the concert instruments. Yes, I
am a bit of a starry-eyed idealist, but it's also practical and pragmatic.

Fred S. Sturm, RPT
University of New Mexico