advice on action parts

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sat Mar 20 06:16 MST 1999

Dave,
Perhaps the high touchweight is a result of friction. You say the DW is
58, what is the Up Weight? If the UW is 20 or lower you definitely have
a high friction factor. The DW should not be lowered because you will
have repetition problems if you do not first attend to the friction.

Ease: key bushings, balance rail holes, burnish rep lever and knuckles.
Are the centers sluggish?  Ease a few across the  keyboard to assess
their function.

Measure the hammer flange center pin to knuckle core center distance.
If it is 15.5mm then an execution with either a 16.2 or 17mm will lower the
DW. Experiment for touchweight and regulation with the different executions
with a  spare hammer on new shanks.  This is where the Renner USA Parts
Kit comes in handy.

I prefer Renner USA parts and Abel hammers. Don't forget the back action
(underlevers), Renner USA has a replacement  kit which duplicates the
original; S&S does not have this and their underlevers are from Renner
anyway.

Being an ex-player with longer keys, I don't suspect excessive front leading,
but if there is, it brings the geometry into suspicion.

Happy Hunting,

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)