advice on action parts

Vince Mrykalo Vince@byu.edu
Wed Mar 24 08:22 MST 1999

So was your key ratio actually 2:1, or .50?  So far, when I change key ratio
(by weight) to .50, I cannot get the dip to .40".  It has actually been more
like .43+" with the shanks up in the air as far up as I dare (1/4").  I'm
wondering if increasing the bore to slightly over 2" is a good idea in this
case, especially when my measurements show the bore distance should be 2" (in
the middle anyway).  Or would changing out the wippen cushions to a slightly
thicker configuration be advisable?  Can you get Steinway hammers where the
tails are uncoved and longer?  When I've ordered "raw" hammers in the past,
they still come coved, and although untapered, they are slightly under 3" in
total length.

At 08:02 PM 3/22/99 -0500, you wrote:

> As far as our "D" with the changed capstan position, I did samples to make
> sure the dip was not over 0.40" and though the change did increase key
> travel, no one ever mentioned anything about it.
>
> Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory

Vince
<mailto:vince@byu.edu>
Visit the web page for the Pacific Northwest Conference at:
<www.pnwpianoconf.com>