caut-digest V1997 #128

Lewis Surdam surdam@fas.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 25 07:57 MST 1999

In 1984 I was given a choice of who to affiliate our group of 3
technicians with: Office for the Arts, Music Dept or Media Services (Audio
Visual, Modern Language Center, Instructional Media). I eliminated the
Music Dept because out of the 200 pianos in the Harvard collection only
around 55 are in the Music Bldg and I thought if they were supervising us
those 55 pianos would receive an inordinate portion of our time. The
Office for the Arts didn't have a particularly strong director or
accountant. On the other hand, the director of Media Services although
knowing next to nothing about pianos, knew his way in the Harvard
Administration and had a well organized and sharp accountant. I also felt
that his Dept being piano/music neutral would enable us to fairly
distribute our work to all 200 pianos. It has turned out to be for the
best.
			Lew Surdam