Chapter Technicals

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Sun Mar 28 19:26 MST 1999

________
>Avery Todd, RPT                        Experience is something you don't
>Moores School of Music                 get until just after you need it.
>University of Houston
>Houston, TX 77204-4893
>713-743-3226
>http://www.music.uh.edu/

Avery,
When I was VP in our small chapter, it became increasingly hard to
'voluntarily conscript' chapter members to give technicals or arrange and
decide on and pay for traveling experts, but we eventually solved that
problem by putting each RPT (or willing Associate) on a rotation where they
are 'assigned' a month (works out for us about once a year or so). In the
past year, we have had a 'show us your toolcase', RCT demo, soundboard
press demo, chipped ivory key repair, vertical regulation by aftertouch
(dip block verboten), bridge capping procedure, pitch raise ethics, pitch
raise nuts and bolts, lyre repairs, as well as the stand-by favorite new
tools and jigs. Our meetings are on a weeknight and we have our technical
first, before the business portion, so they are generally in the 1 to 1-1/2
hour range. I am very lucky to be in a chapter of great techs and we have
almost 100% attendance each month. Most techs, when forced, can come up
with something to demonstrate or open up and guide in a  general
discussion. Go with the experts when and if you can (as defined someone who
lives more than 50 miles away and has slides), but use the resources that
are close and you just might be surprised what you can learn. Plus, once
the schedule is set up, your job is done.
Ken Jankura,RPT
President, South Central PA Chapter