anhydrous methanol

John D. Chapman chapmajd@wfu.edu
Wed Jan 5 17:49 MST 2000

I have been using anhydrous methanol to treat sluggishness in action
centers as suggested by Bill Spurlock in the PTG Technical Examination
Source Book.  Used straight, it works very well on sluggishness due to
lack of use (like those nice home pianos which are never played, but are
occasionally tuned). It frees things up, but since there is on water in
it, the bushings are not "shrunk", and it leaves no residue like a
lubricant does.  Lubricants are great, but when you don't need one, why
use it.
But now my bottle of methanol is empty and none of the drug stores in town
carry it anymore.  Suggestions ?

John Chapman RPT
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC