S&S 1098 Hammer doping

Lorlin D. Barber ldb@commonlink.com
Sun Jan 16 20:40 MST 2000

We have a Steinway 1098 that just ain't got the je ne sais quoi.  It
appears the hammer doping in the factory was overlooked.  I would like
to know what the basic factory approach to doping the hammers is in
preparation for voicing (ie. dope the strike point and upper shoulders
in the hi treble, lower shoulders in the mid treble, etc.).  I've got
the basic approach used on a S&S grand, but not on a studio. I use the
acetone/keytop solution a little more beefed up than the Steinway
formula of 1 keytop to 8 oz of acetone, but whatever "bench doping"
approach used with  laquer will suffice..

Thanks Much for any input!!!

Lorlin Barber
Music Dept. Iowa State University

--