S&S 1098 Hammer doping

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue Jan 18 10:54 MST 2000

Hi Lorlin, long time no see in print!

Before embarking on "doping" up those hammers I would suggest you
check hammer location, (you can warp a shank so the hammer point goes
or or down by lifting the front of the hammer or pushing it down while
heating the shank with a flame) and I would also check to see that the
strings are capable of greater sound by plucking them.

This being said I would remove the action and hold it upside down to
put juice on the underside of the hammer shoulders then invert it to
put the same amount of the top of the hammers.  Allow to dry for a
while and check the sound.  I would use a plastic bottle with a long
spout and squiret it on in a controlled fashion.

I prefer to make my solution by weighing ground plastic material and
measured fluid so I can replicate exactly the solution I want.  I
weigh within 0.1 grams. and make 4 ounces at a time.

If possible I would do this in stages of several days wait between
treatments so make sure I am not going too far past the point I want
to hear.

If there are hammers that require but a tiny bit more use your finger
or a piece of paper towel to put juice where you want it instead of
pouring it on as I would the first few tries.

It is also possible to wick juice up off a towel to the underside of
individual hammers as needed.

Hope this generalization is helpful.

		Newton