Albarda 1970 four choir concert Harpsichord

Allan D'Autremont jadatune@cableregina.com
Wed Jan 26 14:41 MST 2000

I've just subscribed and wish to introduce myself. I have just reached ten
years of service as University of Regina Piano Technician: 90 pianos and
two harpsi-
chords plus some outside venues. I'm an aural only for now tech, with some
interest in eventually having electronic aids. 52 years old and did play at a
gr X or better level on piano.We (Uof R) have a similar Albarda 3 choir
concert
size 9' made 1980 without the 16' rank, with hand levers. I had to reanchor
the
block with tee nuts 4 years ago, so have experience with these,ours is spruce
ply!!!
   Saturday Feb 22 MM, viewed the 1970 Albarda 9' with seven foot pedals and
two hand buff stops, this one made of Cherry-fir ply.16',8',coupler for lower
manual,8',4', 8'lute upper manual.
   The needed repairs are: reanchor pin block,after lowering pitch, put in new
top treble string spline 6 inches and put in all pins and sort out the birds
 nest of wires etc. The case has spread open 5/16 of an inch  on left side
due to pin block separation. Tuning pins are tight,strings at low pitch.
   It's of course unplayable, been in this condition since 1986, the rack
capstans are at limit of adjustment nearly falling out,due to the 5/16 "warp
of sides.
   Lower manual keys have an unusual side travel,so maybe a lot of center
rail felt to replace,and pin hole work to do. Extreme lack of humidity,
with key warp evident, lots of regulation of picking and racks before
several pitch raises to A 415.
   No capstans on delrin jacks, they appear to be fit.
   My question is: Client is estate who need C dollar value at time of
death,so that they can probate the will. Has anybody knowledge of what used
Albardas this size have sold for?
   The repair cost needs to allow for humidity changes over a few months,
and since I won't necessarily do the repair myself be inclusive enough to
allow someone elsewhere to accomplish it at a profit.
   1970 was bought at about 14 thousand dollars Canadian.
   My feeling is this situation is due owners' willful neglect and must
be reflected in the dollar numbers.I doubt the value can be much more than
2500$  I haven't a really solid idea what the repair cost might be but think
2500 not excessive- am I dreaming?
    Hope someone out there can shed some light on this, thanking you all in
advance,Allan d'Autremont U of Regina piano tech.
Sincerely,

Allan D'Autremont