recital piano usage

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 28 08:49 MDT 2000

Hi Mark,
             We have a similar system,  for the 3 concert grands, and it
works well.  The office  has been very good about controlling the usage.
Students get one practice slot equivalent to the length of the recital for
a sound/hall check.
They are all told that the instruments are not practice pianos.
Visiting pianist no restrictions, faculty are frequently reminded to use
common sense, due to budget restrictions.
Because of time slots for the hall, a note is left on the piano, that it
has been tuned for recital.  "keep you grubby finger off", (smirk) and the
tuning will not be touched up prior to performance.
We have a C3 in Quance theatre for practice and general use, to take the
pressure off the concert grand.
Since it is a dead hall, the piano is voiced bright, and needs constant
attention to stop it from being 'brassy'.
It's a constant problem that we have to work with.
We pay a fair portion of a students tuition to keep the Damp chasers
filled. This kind of works.
Before I took over there was no policy, and the pianos were awful. Two have
been re strung , re bushed,hammered and shanked. We now have a specific
budget to maintain the concert grands, this has helped to educate faculty
members, and has helped in their cooperation.
Regards roger

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213