recital piano usage

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Fri Jul 28 08:53 MDT 2000

>Caut,
>We are reviewing our policy on recital piano usage, and input from other
>institutions would be helpful. So, a few questions.
>1. Do you limit access to your recital piano(s)?
>2. How much rehearsal time is allowed for piano recitals on that piano?
>3. How much rehearsal time is allowed for vocal or instrumental recitals
>where that piano will be used to accompany?
>4. Is the piano locked and covered, and if so, who is in charge of the
>key? What about weekend recitals? (we have many)

David,
Here's my take on your survey:

1.  We try, but seeing as there is only a combination lock on the
most-used piano, it is somewhat fruitless.

2.  As much as anyone can schedule

3.  See answer to #2

4.  The piano is supposed to be locked and covered, but frequently I
find neither condition is true.  I don't worry about weekend recitals.

The disclaimer for the above answers is that the recital hall is also
used for large lecture classes, choral rehearsal, piano performance
classes, etc., etc.  The Steinway B in the recital hall is under a
great amount of pressure during the year as a result.  The
administration here understands the facility deficit and is trying to
take care of it, but you know how slow a new building or addition
goes up....

I would be interested if CAUT would come up with some sort of policy
about this.  I'd like to limit the piano's use, but with the (over)
use of the room, its hard to implement something that makes sense.
Perhaps just a combination lock with a changeable combination would
do the trick - at least casual practice would be discouraged.

Sincerely,
Jon

Jon Ralinovsky
Piano Technician