recital piano usage

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 28 09:36 MDT 2000

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, David Forman wrote:

]Caut,
]We are reviewing our policy on recital piano usage, and input from other
]institutions would be helpful. So, a few questions.
]1. Do you limit access to your recital piano(s)?

Yup! We regularly interrupt students who are using the piano as a practice
room to ask them not to use the piano for practicing. Most seem to get the
idea.

]2. How much rehearsal time is allowed for piano recitals on that piano?

Faculty and students are allowed 2 hour slots for dress rehearsal. Some
faculty abuse this, but usually they are reasonable.

]3. How much rehearsal time is allowed for vocal or instrumental recitals
]where that piano will be used to accompany?

2 hours here, also.

]4. Is the piano locked and covered, and if so, who is in charge of the
]key? What about weekend recitals? (we have many)

The piano is kept locked but not covered. We have some good habits here
and the piano is usually kept locked. The worst offenders are the faculty,
who don't even turn out the spot lights.

We change the locks on recital pianos every year or so. We have a very
inefficient system of checking out keys to students. There is little
recourse if a key is not returned and I occasionally get a call from the
key distribution people telling me they have issued all 50 keys and need
more!!!

My biggest complaint for the last 6 years has been that the schedule for
the recital halls is not on-line. We get a copy of the schedule every
week, but people often call during the week to add things to the schedule,
so we have a hard time establishing who is really scheduled to be on the
piano and who is "breaking the rules"!

John Minor
University of Illinois