Frame Cracked Twice, Up and singing again

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Sun Apr 30 19:35 MDT 2000

The Hazelton Grand is repaired and up to pitch and sounding great.

I had wanted to do locknstitch, but getting the details together was
proving weighty.

So I listened to what Willis Snyder had said, "Bolt a plate on the
underside of the frame", and called an engineering/welder friend to talk
me through.

He recommended a 1/4 inch steel plate, and drew a pattern on the
underside of the frame, marking general locations for 3/8 inch bolts.  I
created a cardboard pattern, leaving openings for the access holes, and a
local metal shop made it for me.

I drilled and tapped into the frame fifteen holes, drilled out the steel
to match.  Then, cleaning both surfaces with a belt sander and denatured
alchohol, applied a layer of PC-7 on both surfaces.  Next I bolted the
sandwich together.

The engineer calculated that the 12 inches of 1/4 steel I had added could
carry upwards of 100,000 lbs. of stress by itself, seeing that a 1 inch
rod of steel will hold 40,000.

I set the bearing  with a little help from epoxy putty.  A few days later
I drew up tension in 1/36 th increments, (very carefully).  A-440 and
holding perfectly.  Full regulation and voicing followed.  The client was
here today to play it, and could find no serious complaint.

The steel plate method was very cost effective, $20.00 for the plate, 3'
threaded bolt and 15 nuts, PC-7, sandpaper,etc. plus time.  I owe a
couple of helpful experts for their time -

Even if the PC-7 failed, the plate and bolts are enough to hold this.
And the repair is all underneath, with only a little roughness on the top
where the bolts came flush with the surface.  I smoothed that out with a
little super glue.

A little masking, and re-guilding, and it looks very presentable.  I do
have the repair on digital if anyone wants to see it.  It cannot go
through the list, however so send requests to rchayden1@juno.com.

I will let the world know if this thing ever comes apart.

Roger C. Hayden, RPT