CAUT Guidelines (long)

Richard West rwest1@unl.edu
Mon May 1 10:46 MDT 2000

Don:

I want to thank you, first of all, for the work you're doing with the
Guidelines.  It's been a valuable document and your efforts to update it are
definitely needed.  I've been wanting to respond to the ongoing thread, but
things haven't slowed down at the university until today.  My students in the
piano design class are here taking their final so I have time to sit at the
computer and catch up a bit.

First I have to climb into the pulpit for a get-it-off-my-chest sermon.  For
those of you who dislike sermons, move on to the next paragraph.   The term "bean
counters" is not one I would choose to use.  I must say that I think we need to
be careful of how we think about our supervisors/directors/administrators, etc.
I received my 25-years-of-service award this year so I've served under a number
of different directors.  Although there have been some glitches along the way, I
respect what they have to do and the responsibilities they have.  There have been
times they've bailed me out on occasion.  So with all due respect, the mentality
from which the term "bean counters" springs, is counterproductive, even it it may
have a ring of truth to it and even if there are some terrible people out there
with power over our lives.  So much for THAT lecture.

I've always thought that the guidelines were primarily for technicians to help
them organize their thinking to be able to make better presentations to the
people that control the purse strings.  I would suspect that very few
administrators would take time to read the guidlines from cover to cover.
Therefore we technicians need to pick and chose the things that will most impact
a particular administrator to open his or her eyes to the needs we have.  Where
it is most valuable is for those institutions that realize they have a piano
maintenance problem and go searching for a way to quantify how bad it is.  That's
when the Guidelines work the best.

I've also thought the  Guidelines were a bit heavy handed and self-serving.
Guilt is a powerful tool, but it has limited effectiveness with administrators.
Regardless of what we think about the bottom line, that remains one of the most
powerful tools to work with or to work against.  A document produced by piano
service people demanding more money for piano service can be construed to be self
serving without some outside rationale or support.  Are there any business models
out there that descibe equipment maintenance in terms of the cost of the item
being maintained?   For example, if a piece of equipment or tool costs $100,000
should an adminstrator try to budget 5% or 10% of that cost to maintain it?  What
about depreciation?  How does that figure into knowing when to replace a piece of
equipment?  I'm no business major, but surely someone has thought about these
things and we should try to develope ways to justify our own budget and salary
using strict business models.  If there's a conflict between good business
practice and our guidelines, then we need to either justify the difference, or
change the guidelines.

We all know how important humidity control is to our work.  I think we need to
develope a way to describe how humidity control helps the bottom line.  Without
humidity control, tuning takes up the majority of our work time.  With some
humidity control we should be able to show how much time is saved which could be
converted into time used for other tasks.  Imagine what perfect humidity control
would do for us!  What percent of our workload would be given to tuning if the
humidity was perfect year around?  Something to think about.  Figuring how
humidity fits into our workload formula is important, but only as a guide to our
thinking and not always as a way to describe how crucial humidity control is to
our work.  I think a variety of metaphors to fit a variety of experience would be
as valuable as the number in our workload formula.

Also (sorry this is becoming so long, must be an end-of-the-semester stress
release) we need to define how we arrive at the base ratio of 60 pianos per
technician.  Several years ago I added up the hours I tuned, regulated, rebuilt
as I had it documented in my schedule.  I came up short of the total hours of a
40 hour work week, 48 weeks a year.  It was like tuning 3 perfect thirds and
ending far short of an octave.  What had filled up my "work comma"?  Some of that
is obvious (teaching, computer work, enjoying colleagial conversations, etc.)
One of the factors is "just being there."  What is that worth ( monetarily and
otherwise) to have a technician on call?  What is the mentality of the
institutions that have a don't-call-us-we'll-call-you attitude and won't spring
for the money it takes to hire a staff technician?   More importantly how can we
change that attitude?   It's akin to the sorry belief shared by many
administrators that work at the university is a technician's gateway to the more
lucrative private market.  I applied for a position at another university once
and had an adminstrator admit, "Oh, we won't be able to match your current salary
but you'll get lots of outside work."   I replied,"If I'm hired for 40 hours of
work, I want my commitment to be to the university and be paid accordingly.  If I
take lots of outside work, my time and commitment is compromised and it will show
up in my work."  I think it was a revelation for the person interviewing me.  I
didn't take the job.

Finally (yes, you're almost to the end) what is it worth to have a good
responsible employee that takes care of things and that works well with faculty
and staff?  At meetings where administrators gather to compare notes and try to
find ways to improve their separate departments, they talk about piano
technicians and compare experiences.  Peer status means something to
administrators.  When I first took the job here, there weren't all that many
staff techncians at universities in the midwest.  Now almost every major
university has one or more.  Making a case for more support can often be one of
"keeping up with the ------ (fill in the blank with a peer university)."  Getting
accreditation may include more attention to instrument maintenance and so peer
review becomes important.

Sooooo, to make a long story short, there are other avenues to develope that
might improve the Guidelines.  I think our Guidelines might include a page that
deals with short, succint, business related topics and suggested presentation
options.

I hope this hasn't been too longwinded.

Richard West
University of Nebraska