CAUT Guidelines

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue May 16 07:32 MDT 2000

Don and list,
	Here's a stab at specific changes I would like to see in the
guidelines:
1) I think the basic formula (60 per 1 FTE) is sound enough. I would
like to see a supplement with "real life" work loads as well, to the
extent we have information. It would make sense to have a few
categories. Perhaps a "Conservatory" (Juilliard, Eastman, Curtis, Cincy,
and the like), a "Prominent Music Program" (including flagship state
universities like Indiana, North Texas, SUNY Stonybrook as well as
places like Yale), and "The Rest." An average "pianos per FTE" for each
category, together with a footnote listing those institutions included
in arriving at the average. It would be nice to have something for
smaller departments with contract work as well, but coming up with a
format (number of tunings, budget for repairs/rebuilding, weighted for
number of pianos) would be troublesome.
	Adding "real life" would make the document have greater impact I think,
even if the numbers fall below ideal for the most part. It would show
where the individual department falls within the peer structure.

2) Humidity: I'd like to see the multiplier beefed up to maybe 0.5,
maybe with a notion that this would apply for swings of 60% or more,
with lesser multipliers for lesser swings. And some prose added
concerning modern air exchange systems, pointing out the tremendous
degree of instability they introduce into the interior environment and
its impact on pianos. No numbers here (I don't think we have data), but
just a strong recommendation for humidity control (whether building-wide
or piano-installed).

3) Piano replacement: I think we should make a stab at stating
life-expectancy of pianos, recommending a replacement cycle. I created
my own in a recommendation for my department, suggesting the following:
Uprights, maintain an average age of 20 years, maximum age of 40.
Grands, maintain an average age of 30 years, maximum of 60, with major
rebuilding as a component. (And yes, I think quality grands can easily
last longer, especially if rebuilding includes soundboards, but there
needs to be SOME replacement budget).
	Mention should be made that pianos wear in relation to usage and
environment, and that they can be cycled from location to location to
maximize longevity.
	In addition, I think there should be some mention of piano loan
programs as a way of ameliorating situations, noting that typically they
will require 50-75% more technician time per piano for upkeep due to
tuning instability and "dealer prep."

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico