Metric / American Standard gauges

Kenneth P. Eschete k-eschete@nwu.edu
Fri Nov 24 13:00 MST 2000

Dan,
The string sizes marked on English painos (1840 - 1900) are generally close
enough to standard wire guage.  If the piano predates iron framing, you
better tell me more about the piano.

Ken Eschete

sizesAt 07:58 PM 11/22/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Help!
>
>I am new to CAUT. I service many small venues, Junior colleges and
>perforaming arts centers in the Dallas Texas area. I don't normally
>restring. But, just for fun...
>    I am restringing an old english piano, and I am 'trying' to order some
>'PureSound' wire.  Does anyone on the list have a conversion chart, or info
>to translate American Standard wire gauge numbers, or thousandths of an
>inch, into metric or metric gauge sizes? This piano calls for #12 through
># 20 wire, with 1/2 sizes. Are the gauge numbers (comparing metric to
>America Standard) close?
>     By the way, Juan Mas Cabre with PureSound, is a great addition to the
>restoration and music world. He is the author of the recent articles on wire
>for older pianos, in the Journal, and the main squeez at PureSound.
>(www.puresound-wire.com)
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>P.S. If you are a tech in the Dallas Texas area and want to try some of this
>wire, please let me know.
>Dan Reed
>Dallas

Kenneth P. Eschete
Director of Keyboard Maintenance
Interim-Director Concert Activities
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.  USA
k-eschete@nwu.edu