Metric / American Standard gauges

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Fri Nov 24 15:14 MST 2000

Kenneth,

    I did not find string or gauge size on the frame or bridges etc, I miced
the wire. Do you know how American Standard gauges relate to Metric? Roger
posted that Mertic is .0005 thinner than Imperial. O.K.! Thats 5 ten
thousandths. Right? And Imperial relates to American Standard?  I could
measure the wire witha Metric mic, and end my confusion.
      FYI, this instrument is an iron frame straight strung birdcage
vertical, whose owner could not be talked out of the restringing. The piano
is pretty much the garden varaity.) I am guessing it is about 100+ years
old, and I am trying to order the correct wire sizes from PureSound. Thanks
for your post.

Dan Reed
Dallas, Texas