Friction in leather keybushings

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu Aug 23 16:01 MDT 2001

Dear Cauts,
    Last spring I rebuilt an 1890's Bechstein action.  Since the original
keybushings were leather, I replaced them with leather, a smooth, thin kid
leather that seemed close to the original bushings.
    Since then there has been a recurring problem with friction in the front
mortise.  There is plenty of room, and the bushing is very stable, but when
the player pushes the keys a little to the side when playing, there is a lot
of friction between the leather and the keypin.
    This responds well to Prolube in the bushing, but recurs after a month
or two (I've just finished my third visit to lube the bushings).
    Anyone have any experience with leather keybushings?
    Thank you.
        Ed Sutton