B.Y.O.B. party

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Tue Aug 28 19:28 MDT 2001

All,

But if these things all had climate control systems in them life would be a
whole lot easier.  The biggest problem with these beasts is dealing with
pitch raises and lowerings (lowerings right now, yippee! -- except the new
1098's which need pitch raises even now).  But if the pianos would stay at
pitch, the worst is over - and the Damppchaser system will help achieve that.

Newton, you're right about the tuning wrench position - I like 11-1 o'clock,
but I'm 6' and can do it sitting down;  If I was shorter I'd stand and tune
these things.  (My back hurts thinking about it - wait a minute, that was the
5 high school tunings today...).  And I am not sure, Newton, if it is just
tuning pin flagpoling - you could be right, but even with the maximum
attention to tuning hammer position, I find these pianos to barely
compensate.  Why?

Bill Shull

In a message dated 8/28/01 1:19:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
nhunt@optonline.net writes:

<< > I'm going in there with some serious power tools and try
 > and fix the problem.

 I might suggest an impact hammer, one that the weight is sujpported by your
hand
 in order to not put any pressure on the pin except to tune it.

 1098s tend upward because you are likely trying to tune it with your hammer
at
 2:00 to 3:00 and in doing so you plex the pin downward which it wants to
return
 from there fore pulling the pitch up to do so. Simple mechanics called flag
 poling.

 I have never met a 1098 I liked but I am able to master them, somewhat, but
it
 is strain on me, the piano and my relationship with the customer.  [sigh]

 If only I were a left handed tuner, then it would  be so easy.

 Tuning pins aside there are so many other tonal problem with the pianos that
 make it difficult as well.  They are such junk I hate to see people buying
 them.  (deeper sigh)

 Bombs a weigh!

        Newton