Lacquering Hammers Wait to Play On?

Eugenia Carter ginacarter@carolina.rr.com
Tue Dec 4 07:05 MST 2001

Greg, John, Wim,

It has been my experience that lacquer and acetone are two distinctly
different applications for two distinctly different purposes, especially
when applying these solutions to soft hammers as opposed to hard ones.

Regarding the original question, when applying lacquer I try to leave it to
dry for 24 hours minimum before doing anything else, especially testing the
sound in the piano. I do it like this because I learned the technique from
some very experienced S&S technicians like Fred Drasche. It's one of those
rare times I did without questioning why just because I was told that's the
way it's done. :-)

Fred (paraphrasing) said that it's necessary to allow the laquer to dry
enough so that when you play the hammers they won't be too wet. Playing them
before the laquer has dried enough may change the fibers within the hammers.
He always emphasized that the hammers _will_ sound different after 6 months,
and more different after one year, with subtle changes in between because as
the laquer hardens the tone is affected. I've found this to be quite true.

There have been a couple occasions where I've lacquered in the morning,
turned up the heat, set them in front of a large fan to dry and came back
6 - 8 hours later. Then gave them a quick voicing and used them for a
rehearsal that night. Results were ok, but I sure had to work with those
hammers quite a bit more than usual the rest of that season because the tone
did change more than usual.

The acetone application used currently by S&S (and which I originally
learned from Baldwin years ago) is not used in the factory. Only lacquer is
used at the factory. Acetone is used in the basement at Steinway Hall by the
concert techs and by the concert techs out in the field and at conferences
and seminars. They recommend its application only to even out sound from
note to note. It is not used initially to harden the soft, S&S hammer. It is
not used wholesale. Their (S&S) recommendation is to use it only to change
the sound of a few notes when the tech is under a time crunch and does not
have time to work with lacquer.

I myself do not prefer the acetone sound and will go to great lengths to
avoid using it. :-)

Hope this helps some.

Gina