Lacquering Hammers Wait to Play On?

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 4 09:30 MST 2001

I recently asked a related question (how to speed the prep of new Steinways)
and was told to use lacquer with Acetone instead of lacquer thinner to speed
the drying process.  True?  Drawbacks?

P.S.   I find the use of keytops/acetone only, noisier, lacquer is better.
Also, acetone dries in a couple of hours, lacquer thinner, over night and
the lacquer solids do get a bit harder over time.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
985.72P.IANO

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Breakall,
Raymond
  Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 10:10 AM
  To: 'caut@ptg.org'
  Subject: RE: Lacquering Hammers Wait to Play On?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Wimblees@aol.com [mailto:Wimblees@aol.com]
    Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 1:38 PM
    To: caut@ptg.org

    In a message dated 12/3/01 11:38:08 AM Central Standard Time,
jbaird@fgi.net writes:

      Using the acetone/keytop solution (in this case to bring up the tone
of the
      whole piano), he brushes a small amount on the crown, then slides the
action
      back in and immediately pounds it in while shifting into both
positions. He
      mutes the strings with his finger while pounding--maybe just to spare
his
      ears, I don't know. The result is a very even and slightly brighter
tone. In
      any case, there was no waiting before playing.

      John Baird
      Millikin University
      Decatur, Illinois

    John

    It would seem to me that the process of pounding is creating a brighter
tone more that the lacquer. If you pound right away, I don't think the
lacquer will have a chance to soak into fibers of the hammers. I also think
by pounding the string hard right away, it will force the lacquer right back
out of the hammer, and onto the strings. It would be like putting a brush in
the lacquer and then right away hitting the side of the handle again the
table. The lacquer would come right off the brush.

    Wim
    [Breakall, Raymond]
    I am new this to this forum but it is very i nteresting. I am the tech
at the University of Richmond. What about the ready made hammer brightener
from say Schaff? Is that as effective as the acetone/keytop solution.

    Ray Breakall