replace/rebuild

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue Dec 4 09:34 MST 2001

The department chair at UA has started looking into upgrading the pianos in
the department, perhaps even becoming a Steinway School. We have two options.
Buy all new Steinways, or rebuild the ones we have and buy new what is
needed.

I need some advice from you guys with more experience in this area. We
currently have 3 D's One is 15 years old, one is 30 years old and the other
is 40 years old. The last one has been partially rebuilt, but not a good job.
The 30 year old also needs to be rebuilt. The 15 year old is OK. What is the
consensus of opinion on the two older ones? Would you recommend sending them
to New York to be rebuilt, or would you trade them in for new ones. Obviously
money is an object, but lets pretend it isn't. Just for practicality's sake,
what are your thoughts.

We also have 8 B's, of which one is brand new, 2 are 15 years old, and 5 are
30 years old. The 5 older ones are useable, but need work. Are the '70's
pianos worth rebuilding, or should they be replaced?

Wim
Willem Blees
University of Alabama