Lacquering Hammers Wait to Play On?

Ron Torrella rontorrella@yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 18:37 MST 2001

I generally wait overnight (16-20 hours) before playing lacquered hammers.
There's no real hurry with lacquer, anyhow, because it's a fairly long
process of tone building when you're using lacquer. I can still detect tonal
changes (improvements, usually) as much as 3-4 weeks after the hammers have
been treated and initially voiced. Longer time frames on pianos that aren't
as heavily used.

Ron Torrella, RPT
University of Michigan
School of Music
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Greg
Newell
  Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 12:57 AM
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: Lacquering Hammers Wait to Play On?

  Wim,
      I disagree. I think the answer to the original question, "how long do
I wait" makes a great deal of difference whether one is using Acetone /
Keytop or Lacquer. Lacquer will dry much slower and acetone / keytop is
playable within the time of a normal service call. This is why I wanted to
not mix the topic. If your experience is different I sure would be
interested to hear EXACTLY what materials i.e.. lacquers and in what
strengths (mixtures) you are using them.
  Greg