Cleaning pianos

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon Dec 17 13:58 MST 2001

In a message dated 12/17/01 2:31:06 PM Central Standard Time, kjones@well.com
writes:

> What I'm wondering is what I should do to protect the finish and make
> future clean-ups easier. I've been thinking that waxing the practice room
> P-22's is the thing to do. What about classroom grands with black lacquer
> finishes, can I put wax on those, or is there something better for the flat
> black finishes (mostly Steinways). Do most of you have a regular cleaning
> schedule, or do you just clean up as necessary?
> Since working here I have been continually amazed at 1) how quickly the
> piano majors can knock a piano out of tune, and 2) how quickly the pianos
> get filthy.
> Thanks,
> Keith Jones, Associate Member PTG

Keith

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT apply any kind of wax or polish to a black satin
lacquer finish. This will just make it streak. The best way to clean a black
satin lacquer finish is with a damp rag, or if it is really dirty, use a
little soap on the rag. (soap, as in liquid dish detergent). That's for both
the Steinway's and the PT22's. The PT22's, BTW, might be a satin polyester,
instead of laquer. But they are cleaned the same way  Be sure to use a soft
rag.

As far as cleaning the outside of the pianos, I try to keep the performance
pianos looking half way decent. But I don't clean the outside case of the
classroom, teaching studio or practice room pianos. I do clean the action
when I get to it. I am starting to clean the keys of the pianos I am
regulating with "SIMPLY GREEN" in a spray bottle. This gets most of the dirt
and grease off. (There is one piano major who cleans the keys of every piano
she plays with alcohol. This keeps her from catching colds from other
students. It is also helping me do my job).

When I first started working here I thought I could get by with tuning the
practice room pianos (for piano majors) about once every two months. This
semester I'm going to an every other weeks schedule. This is still twice as
often as the previous tuner, who tuned all the pianos twice a year, whether
they needed it or not :)

Personally, Keith, I think you might be spending too much time on keeping the
pianos clean. I don't think the students care as much about the cleanliness
as they do about the tuning.

Wim