Cleaning pianos

Greg Granoff RPT gjg2@humboldt.edu
Mon Dec 17 13:52 MST 2001

Hello Kieth,
This from a sister campus up north of you:  I've found that after cleaning, an
application of Cory's Satin Sheen available from most suppliers is a big help
in protecting the black laquer pianos. (Deepens the color quite nicely too.)
It won't end your cleaning duties entirely, but occasional applications will
slow the accumulation of goo down considerably.  Be sure to spray on the cloth
rather than directly on the piano, then wipe-- that stuff is not good for
decorative metal surfaces such as hinges, etc.  I still attack the pianos at
intervals with cleaning solution in the area of the arms/cheeks/fallboard/front
stringer area where the hand oils accumulate most rapidly. I try to get the
entire case of the grands once a year if time permits.
Good luck,

Greg Granoff  RPT
Humboldt State University