Cleaning pianos

Keith Jones kjones@well.com
Mon Dec 17 13:33 MST 2001

Hello everyone,
 I'm the part time assistant tech at S.F. State University, and for the
last year I've been trying to clean off years worth of accumulated grime
from our pianos. I've finally removed most of the worst crusty black goo.
What I'm wondering is what I should do to protect the finish and make
future clean-ups easier. I've been thinking that waxing the practice room
P-22's is the thing to do. What about classroom grands with black lacquer
finishes, can I put wax on those, or is there something better for the flat
black finishes (mostly Steinways). Do most of you have a regular cleaning
schedule, or do you just clean up as necessary?
 Since working here I have been continually amazed at 1) how quickly the
piano majors can knock a piano out of tune, and 2) how quickly the pianos
get filthy.
 Thanks,
 Keith Jones, Associate Member PTG