Angela Hewitt

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sat Feb 3 09:16 MST 2001

Gina & List,

Chris O'Riley is in the hall practicing now and seems very nice. He
definitely remembered you and told a couple of stories. All flattering,
don't worry. Hmm, I wonder if he has any of the _other_ kind? :-)

>Regarding Chris, what an absolute joy with whom to work! He's one of the
>most versatile and talented performers today. (Picky about the voicing,
>doesn't want any note standing out.)
>
>Please give Chris my best.
>
>Gina

He took all of about a minute to choose which piano to use. The reasons
for pianist's choices are always interesting to me. Recently, a Chopin
Competition winner performed here and he chose the newer one because
it's a "quicker" action. Chris chose the other one because he felt like
he had more control with the rebuilt one. He liked both and seemed
pleased that we had two such good instruments. Maybe the particular
program he's playing also had something to do with his choice.

He did a program in Santa Barbara last night at USC (?). Said it was a
good piano but it had had new hammers put on last summer and he felt
they had been over-lacquered.

I've never heard most of the pieces he's playing, so it should be an
interesting recital. For anyone interested, here's the program.

Sonata No. 3 in A minor, Op. 28 - Prokofiev

Apollon musagete [Apollo] - Stravinsky

Prelude and Fuge in F-sharp major - Shostakovich
Prelude and Fugue in E-flat minor -      "

Sonata No. 8, Op. 66 - Scriabin

Islamey (fantasie orientale) - Mily Balakirev

Since this whole thread started from a posting about Angela Hewitt,
here's her program also:

Capriccio in B-flat Major on the Departure - J.S. Bach
   of his Most Beloved Brother

Toccata in C Minor - J.S. Bach

Variations and Fugue in E-flat Major - Beethoven
          ("Eroica" Variations)

Miroirs - Ravel

Apres une lecture de Dante: Fantasia quasi Sonata - Liszt
        (from Annees de Pelerinage II, No. 7)

I haven't met Angela yet, so wish me luck. I hope it's as easy as it
was with Chris.

Avery