get a grip?

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 3 15:30 MST 2001

On 2/2/01 9:57 AM, "Mark Cramer" <cramer@BrandonU.CA> wrote:

> Good Morning All,
>
> I'm considering routing some recesses in the keybed-undersides of several of
> our recital pianos. This in my mind would provide a convenient "finger-hold"
> when moving these instruments.
>
> A "half-round" profile to a depth of no more than 1/2" is what I have in
> mind. These recesses need be no more than 3" or 4" wide (parallel to the
> keyboard) and would be located perhaps an inch in from the front, and 5 or 6
> inches from each side.
>
> Can any suggest a good reason not to do this?
>
> thanks,
>
> Mark Cramer,
> Brandon University

Mark,
 This saves fingers  !  I 'hand holds'  on all our concert grands 12 years
ago with some reservation about the integrity to the keybed.     I have not
noticed any problem in stability during  our seasonal changes or  humidity
shifts.
     I highly recommend routing in the underside of the keybed. Your depths
of 1/2" and 4" wide may be alittle narrow.    I used a 3/4 straight side
router bit with a plunge router.  I opted not to add half- round because of
possible long legs bumping into these protrusions
    I am now dependant upon these cuts.   Yesterday I was moving a 7'
concert piano and automatically reached under the bed to guide the piano
through  a door.   Surprise  - this was not a UW piano and I was grabbing
for a smooth bed.
    The cuts give excellent control particularly if just one person is doing
the moving.  It is amazing how much you can guide the tail from the keybed.
Left to Right or pulling the piano out of a storage shed is much easier.
     Ideally I find two movers, but when push comes to shove I want the
'hand holds'.
Joel
--
 Joel A. Jones